JUNE 19 TO JULY 1, 2017 – APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN!!!
A two week intensive dance/ theater workshop conducted in an amazing dance studio in a renovated barn and the surrounding environs of a 23 acre former horse farm in the picturesque northeast Catskill Mountains.
- Create dynamic, genre-defying dance and theater.
- Learn techniques that focus on what is happening in the room, building material from what is on hand and spiraling out from there into surprising and endlessly inventive territory.
- Explore task based, problem solving methods that eliminate the pressure to “be creative” and simply allow you to work and make discoveries.
- Make sure what you do is continuously fun and exciting, as well as a little scary.
- For pre-professional and professional artists.
- DON'T WORRY WE WILL TAKE THE DAY OFF AND GO INTO HUDSON FOR GAY PRIDE!!!
SCHEDULE AND FACULTY:
Days are divided into morning and afternoon work sessions with open evening rehearsal times. All classes are taught by members of Witness Relocation and associated artists. Faculty (subject to change) is currently scheduled to include:
- WR artistic director DAN SAFER
- ROBERT M. JOHANSON from Nature Theater of Oklahoma
- Dancer / Actor / Performer HOPE DAVIS from Sleep No More
- WR performer and independent choreographer ALEXA ANDREAS
- And more guest artists TBA
Past teachers and guest artists have included: Sam Pinkleton (choreographer extraordinaire), Tony Torn (performer with Richard Foreman, Reza Abdoh), Tom Kalin (film director, “Savage Grace”, “Swoon”) , Katherine Dieckman (screenwriter & director, “A Good Baby”, “Adventures of Pete & Pete”, some really cool REM videos), Helen Shaw (critic and curator), Charles Lindsay (SETI Artist in Residence, Guggenheim Winner).
Over the course of the eleven day workshop (two five day blocks with one day off in the middle) participants will learn and be guided through multiple techniques and methods for devising work, as well as strategies for tackling the inevitable challenges that arise throughout that process. The workshop culminates in a public showing.
ROOM & BOARD:
The WR Performance Bootcamp approach to room and board is communal– in keeping with the rustic surroundings, workshop participants will be sleeping camping-style in large shared tents (or you can bring your own tent, if you prefer) and dining communally on simple, healthy, home made meals. Any dietary restrictions please contact us.
FEE: $1900 ($1750 IF PAID IN FULL BEFORE APRIL 1, 2017)
The fee includes all classes, room and board. Participants are responsible for arranging their own travel to and from the workshop location in Rensselaerville, NY.
Applications should include:
- Completed application form
- Letter(s) of recommendation
- Photo and resume
- Once accepted, a $500 nonrefundable deposit is required to secure a spot in the program.
Admission to the workshop is rolling, so early application is advised.
A non-refundable $20 application fee can be paid by credit card or paypal on the link below.